Friday, 14 November 2008

Perhaps The Stupidest Suggestion Ever on CiF

Yesterday, I posted about 3 underlying principles of right-wing/libertarian thought, specifically that individual people are 'rational actors', are responsible for their own actions and determine their own destiny. I also inquired as to whether or not everyone to at least some degree shares these core convictions. If you have not read the post yet, it is here.

The reason I asked that question in the final paragraph is because some people really don't seem to be on the same wavelength at all. I was browsing through an old side blog I used to collect examples of amusing comments when I spotted a spectacular example of not getting it. Here it is (bolding mine):

"Frankly, I don't give a damn whether we lock more people up or not, but I want whatever is done to be effective. If that means that we pay potential criminals £30k per year not to reoffend, instead of paying £60k per year (probably a huge underestimate) to lock em up I'd rather pay the £30k." - gosling
Hands up who can spot what is wrong with this idea...

4 comments:

Leg-iron said...

I think it's a brilliant idea. Implement it at once. Then I'll go and slap a few policemen and collect my £30,000 protection cash to not do it again.

Is it for life, or would I have to slap policemen every few years to keep it coming?

Mark Wadsworth said...

I guess the problem is that we'd all just register as potential crim's?

In any event, said twat is not only wrong on the logic but on the facts - locking up a crim costs around £30k per annum. And deporting the ten per cent of UK prisoners who are from abroad would cost bugger all.

Ross said...

He doesn't really get incentives does he?

JuliaM said...

Typical 'Guardian' reader thinking (and columnist, too, come to think of it): "Well, I have moral standards, and I wouldn't commit a crime just for the reward not to do it again, so therefore, neither will anyone else..."

"He doesn't really get incentives does he?"

or human nature...