Thursday, 4 December 2008

QT's Festive 50: Preamble

As promised, before I sign off at the end of the year I'm going to count down my own choice of Top 50 UK political blogs. By way of homage to the late, great John Peel, I'm calling this countdown "QT's Festive 50".

That'll start tomorrow. Today, here is a quick run-through of a few blogs that just missed out on being included in the Top 50, but warrant a mention anyway. So, without further ado, they are:

Liberal Democrat blogs Moments Of Clarity and Norfolk Blogger...

Lefty blogs Lenin's Tomb, Pigdogfucker, The Quiet Road, Freemania and Though Cowards Flinch...

Libertarian and Righty blogs Unenlightened Commentary, Neue Arbeit Macht Frei, Is There More To Life Than Shoes?, Nation Of Shopkeepers and Fabian Tassano's Mediocracy...

Work/Public Services blogs Scenes From The Battleground, Random Acts of Reality, Dr Rant, Inspector Gadget and The Plastic Fuzz...

Campaigning blogs ARCH Blog and the Taxpayers' Alliance Blog...

...and Worthy Opponents Chicken Yoghurt, Flying Rodent, John Band, Shuggy's Blog, Tim Ireland and Never Trust A Hippy

Top 50 Begins Tomorrow

5 comments:

Wolfie said...

This will be interesting I'm sure.

Mark Wadsworth said...

Ian_QT, what interests me is why people have John B down as a 'leftie' (if that's what you mean by 'worthy opponents). I don't agree with him on everything but he seems pretty straight down the middle to me.

QT said...

@Mark: Depends what issues you focus on I guess. On particular topics I take an interest in, he's clearly to the left of me and most of my fellow travellers; and his worldview does not accord with the three 'righty principles' I set out last month. From my perspective, he is a 'leftie'.

I hope you and @Wolfie enjoy the Festive 50 :-)

Mark Wadsworth said...

Ian_QT, those weren't three 'righty principles', they were bald statements of fact and logic with which I wholly concur. That doesn't mean that part of me doesn't wish the truth were otherwise. But that part of me has been proven wrong a zillion times over.

So 'left-wing' from our point of view is anything that is neither factual nor logical, I suppose. But from the lefty point of view, we are derided as 'heartless and cruel'.

Jim Bliss said...

I just missed out? Bugger! And if you're shutting this place down soon it means I won't be able to climb the charts for next year.

Ah well. Story of my life!

Incidentally Mark, I wouldn't describe the statement: People act out of rational self-interest as a "bald statement of fact and logic". In fact I fundamentally disagree with that and believe that the very fact that so many people act on that assumption is one of the biggest problems facing society. Of course, as a psychoanalyst (academic rather than clinical) I'm kind of obliged to say that... otherwise I'd be looking for a new career ;-)